Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, Justice
About Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, Justice
At around 400 acres, Resurrection is Justice’s largest cemetery. It opened in 1904 to serve large Polish-American communities on Chicago’s Southwest Side and nearby suburbs.
Nearly 190,000 people are buried at Resurrection, among 44 cemeteries operated in the city and suburbs by the Archdiocese of Chicago.
The property includes a mausoleum containing a four-sided wall of stained-glass windows, claimed as the largest such installation in the world.
A separate interment chapel and garden crypt area were dedicated by then-Cardinal Karol Wojtyla of Poland, and the cemetery has a collection of memorabilia of his historic 1979 visit to Chicago as Pope John Paul II.