Wheatland Township Cemetery, Naperville
About Wheatland Township Cemetery, Naperville
The first occupant of the Wheatland Township Cemetery was Henry Brown, a 2-year-old boy, laid to rest in July of 1836. Over time, the size of the cemetery has grown to 6.1 acres through donation or purchase of adjacent land. Today over 750 former residents of this area surround little Henry Brown and other members of his family.
Gravesites are still available in both the Old (South) and Newer (North) sections.
For 160 years, the management of the cemetery passed from farmer to farmer and area residents until 2000 when the volunteers of the “Wheatland Cemetery Association” petitioned the Township to assume management and care. At the 2001 Annual Township Meeting, residents unanimously approved the transfer of ownership to the Township with the promise to never sell and always maintain the cemetery.
In 2011, the Cemetery was designated a Will County Historic Landmark by the Will County Historical Preservation Commission and County Board.