Oak Crest Cemetery, Downers Grove
About Oak Crest Cemetery, Downers Grove
The Oak Crest Cemetery is located between Howard Street and Elmore in unincorporated Downers Grove and part lies in Lisle Township. Oak Crest, once called Blodgett, was a privately-owned cemetery. During the lifetime of Mr. William Blodgett he sold lots in Oak Crest, but at no time did he own the land. Records show that in August of 1936 Florence L. Kester and her husband Reg. Ekstrom Jr. were the owners of the land. On December 5, 1936, the Kester’s conveyed the cemetery property to Edith Blodgett. Mr. Blodgett died on February 8, 1933. On March 22, 1939, Ms. Blodgett conveyed part of the property to Olive M. Carlson. Records also show that on May 15, 1945, Olive M. Carlson conveyed the cemetery to William and Harriet Prince Parrish. On July 17, 1945, Edith G. Blodgett conveyed the remaining land to the Parrish’s, also. In 1960 before William Parrish died, he sold the land to Fred & Mae Marvin who already had Oak Hill. Since they could not afford a high price, Mr. Parrish sold it to them for $10.00.