Orland Memorial Park Cemetery, Orland Park
About Orland Memorial Park Cemetery, Orland Park
The cemetery is situated on land that was originally owned by George Cox. He sold the initial piece of property for $13 and a lot for himself and his family. Harry Cox, George’s son, was the village’s third mayor serving from 1915 until 1923. The younger Cox is also remembered for building the first house in the village in 1880 at 14420 Second Ave.
Orland Memorial Park Cemetery was founded in 1859 and was known as the Orland Burial Ground. When Ordinance 30 was amended in 1930, the Village Board annexed the cemetery. According to the cemetery’s website, the current name was adopted in 1936.
Area notables among the Orland Memorial Park Cemetery burials include Samuel Tinley, who was born in 1838 and died in 1919. Susannah Tinley, born in 1836 and died in 1925, is buried in an adjacent grave.
Samuel Tinley was nearby Bremen’s first railroad agent in the late 1800s. The town’s name of Bremen was changed to Tinley Park in 1890 with the Village of Tinley Park incorporated two years later on June 27, one month after Orland Park became a municipality.