Hillcrest Cemetery, Bolingbrook
About Hillcrest Cemetery, Bolingbrook
Hillcrest was originally called Barber’s Corners Cemetery. The general area around Route 53 and Boughton Road was called Barber’s Corners after early settler John Barber. The cemetery was renamed Hillcrest Cemetery in 1959.
The oldest grave at Hillcrest is that of Hattie Martin who died July 26, 1835, as recorded on the Martin monument. There are also two stones dating from 1838, but they are in very bad shape and unreadable. It appears that this cemetery served a wider area than Boardman, stretching down to what is now Romeoville and Lemont, and in contrast to Boardman, is still an active cemetery, with over 800 plots still available.
A stone wall borders the south side of the cemetery, which stretches along Boughton Road, to the east of the entrance. There are many interesting monuments, markers and examples of different kinds of headstones. Some are granite and have fared well over time; others are limestone which show the ravages of time. There is one zinc monument