North Cemetery, St. Charles
About North Cemetery, St. Charles
North Cemetery, aptly named for its location in relation to St. Charles, is the resting place for many of the community’s early settlers. It was owned in the latter 1800s by William C. Irwin. More popularly known as ”Uncle Bill”, Irwin came to St. Charles in 1840 and permanently settled here in 1847 after a brief residency in Galena, IL.
Irwin was a cooper or barrel maker by trade. He was also the town funeral director for a number of years. He was probably best noted for developing Irwin’s Block, a collection of commercial buildings, located on W. Main St. between 1st and 2nd Streets.
When he died in 1900 he was laid to rest in the cemetery he owned.
The cemetery remained in the possession of his estate for a number of years. Citizens concerned with its upkeep formed the Ladies’ Cemetery Association. They collected dues from lot owners and hired to have the grass cut. But it was felt this effort was but a temporary solution to a long-term problem. Each new burial meant one less contributor and one more lot in need of care. Since that time many other groups have worked to keep the cemeteries in the area functioning.